Friday 15 March 2024

I battled my way to Cartagena

Not expecting the 90km today to be challenging, but boy, was I wrong. Firstly, finding the cycle friendly side roads beside the N332 was very confusing. However, it was a full frontal headwind which slowed me right down. There seem to be no trees in Spain, so the wind can do whatever it likes, never having to be rebuffed by pesky trees, or for that matter buildings.... soil erosion must be pretty devastating here. The wind tends to be strongest in the early/ late afternoon, exactly when I do most of my riding. 
Just counting down the kilometers to Cartagena, I see few other cyclists, even those in lycra. Guess it's just the hardcore who bike in these parts. 
No luck finding a WarmShowers or Couchsurfing host, so it's the only hostel in town for me: a chance to wash clothes, cook food and shower. All these small things take on a bigger significance, when one goes without for a while. In the hostel, I start a conversation with some of the teenagers here --> they have come from Mali and have already been here two months. 
A quick look about town the next day suffices - museums, galleries and shops all in full swing, but simply in the mood to chill about the hostel. I don't know how the guys have spent 2 months here at the hostel - it has all the amenities, but a new batch of mostly teenagers every day and the only entertainment coming from each others company and their mobiles. 
I escape tomorrow.  It seems difficult to stay in one place, if even only for one full day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment