Tuesday 6 June 2017

Mauern an der Donau

Feeling well rested, well fed and getting an early start is a good way to start a longer do on the saddle. Today's trek will be 155km, again following the winding course of the Danube, to my next stop at Mautern an der Donau.
Arriving there in the evening, I meet Bernadette and her son, Naseem, at the local playground. It's a small town where everyone seems to know each other, with a typical Austrian picturesqueness. I'm a little worn out from the ride, but meeting couchsurfers each evening usually gives me a burst of energy. Bernadette cooks me some dinner and we talk into the night on her balcony looking at the stars, most of which hide behind conveniently placed clouds.
The next day, I visit Bernadette at work in a local history exhibit. It's theme is Roman life, with a particular focus on the games Romans used to play. Although small, it's well presented and interactive and the kids get a kick out of explaining each of the displays and games to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment