Friday 23 June 2017

Belgrade

Maya lives in New Belgrade and I head directly there. First impressions f Belgrade are not favorable; lots of traffic, anonymous Soviet-styled tower apartments, little greenery.
However, Maya and her fiancé are perfectly charming and welcoming from the start. I try some 10 year old rakeya (schnapps) and talk about their honeymoon plans to see practically all of Europe within one month.
Next day they are engaged hand delivering their wedding invitations to some close friends and family. This leaves me free to explore the city. I find my way eventually to Old Belgrade, a place even less suitable for cyclists, and cycle about the city for the day.
Nadine has travelled from Berlin by train and bus to arrive in Belgrade this evening. Our plan is to cycle to Bulgaria and spend one week climbing in Vratsa, 100km north of Sofia. We check out the fortress in Belgrade before heading back to New Belgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment