Wednesday 14 June 2017

Baja, last stop in Hungary


One of the weirdest and bizarre cycling days ever. Trying to get to the "right" side of the Danube, that is to join up once more with Euroroute 6, proves strenuous thanks to a bridge that only allows motorised vehicles across it. Not knowing this and attempting to somehow safely cross it, leaves me in a field overlooking a small cliff, looking for a way down. I decide to double back, a feat made difficult by the combination of steep gradient and heavily-laden bike. Eureka! Remove bags and bike becomes lighter. In my haste, I fail to take in the fact that my bags roll on such a gradient, leading to one bag rolling to the bottom of a cliff, directly under the bridge. I spend the night hour finding a safe way down, using back roads, a dry river bed and finally through dense forest. All this and it's not even 9:30 in the morning.
It's a scorching day, so once safely located on the "cycle-friendly" side, I take a long lunch under some trees.
The rest of the day I ride on main roads, where bicycles are allowed, instead of the meandering Euroroute 6. I don't have the energy to get lost again and just email want to reach Baja.
Klara is an English teacher in Baja and has prepared a huge meal for me which we eat outside with her family. I stay in my own large private apartment, which she usually rents out to visitors. She had such a great time in Dublin last year, that she can't stop herself from praising everything about the Irish hospitality she was shown when she was there.
I spend the evening walking about the town with her daughter.








No comments:

Post a Comment