Monday 24 July 2017

Moravska Nova Ves, Czech wine country

I meander my way out of Bratislava without Rodrigo following the Moreva river north. It is beautiful following the cycle paths and disused railway lines. I take my time as I have no host for the evening.
On checking my emails, Michal (Warm Showers) tells me that his parents would gladly host me if I go to their house in a wine region in the Czech Republic. As it all last minute, I arrive at the address not knowing if they know of my arrival. I ring the bell and as soon as Maria (Michal's mother) sees the bike, she welcomes me into her family home. It turns out that she has had no warning of my coming, but she and her husband are always taking in weary travellers.
A former English teacher, she tells me of her family and its history and gives me a tour of the huge garden. She makes sure that I am never hungry and keeps filling my plate, bowl or cup until I surrender.
Having only planned to stay one night, I succumb to the warmth of the hospitality and stay two nights, spending the next day cycling around the Moravian towns and vineyards, before returning 'home' to be promptly fed once again.
It truly is remarkable that such people with a meagre pension take time and effort to make strangers welcome. They trust implicitly in the goodness of their visitors and allow that breath of fresh air into their lives. They become enriched by the adventures and cultures from far away lands and have even accommodated five Canadians at the same time. To give and to expect nothing in return - actually living their Catholic beliefs.




No comments:

Post a Comment