Tuesday 23 April 2024

Furadoura, ferries are the best!

The problem with camping for me is that I fall asleep when the sun sets and then wake at about 4am, unable to get to sleep again. My body refuses to sleep more than 7 hours which means I am usually awake reading until sunrise... weird sleeping rhythm. 
Today promises to be nearly totally flat, but with the headwind picking up strength... always something to push against. Today's biking is relatively free of car traffic as there is a long peninsula with a ferry crossing at the end, meaning that cars usually choose the roads more inland to avoid the ferry costs. This happens often in Portugal and makes cycling a much nicer affair than, say, in Spain. 
As always, bringing a bike onto the ferry costs nothing extra and I meet four other Germans on bikes at the Gafanha da Nazaré ferry terminal. Two are on electric bikes, and I happily accept the wind shadow they provide for the next 15km, albeit at 25km/h. 
Finding a near deserted beach, or probably 30km of beach, is easy even though I am only 50km away from Porto. Last sunset needs to be thoroughly appreciated, so I set up camp early and stay on the beach a few hours. I am treated to an especially lovely sunset for this my last day in Portugal's "wilderness". 

No comments:

Post a Comment