Sunday 18 September 2016

Jessen - Saxon-Anhalt

All prepped and ready for the off:
- itinerary and accommodation organised? Check
- bike at least glanced over for faults? Check
- essential gear packed? Check

I am all set for my door-to-door bike ride through Czech Republic and Poland, averaging about 100km each day which could prove challenging in the mountains in Czech. Hopefully by that stage my legs will be hardened by the road through Germany. 

The weather is looking amazing for mid September - 30C and not a cloud on the horizon. My first stop will be in Jessen in Saxon-Anhalt. As expected, the roads are a pretty boring affair, but it does give me not an inconsiderable thrill every time I can just blast through road works, while the rest if the traffic is forced to detour. Ca it schadenfreude if you will, I just enjoy the streets devoid of cars and imagine a future world, where the bikes are top of the road hierarchy. 

Moni and Klaus have invited me to stay with them in Jessen, a small town just north of the Elbe river. Although most of their children have grown up and left home, they are still exerting an influence on their parents. They have decided to host travellers inspired by the travelling adventures of their daughter.

At first the Saxon accent troubles my Berlin-learnt German, but as we chat late into the night over Brotzeit (evening meal assorted breads) and Landskron beer (same surname, no relation), my ear gradually attunes. I am accommodated in my very own room with adjoining balcony, surrounded by an assortment if board games.

After an enjoyable and extensive breakfast, I ready to hit the road this side of midday. I am assured a place at their table any time I decide to visit Jessen again. It certainly was interesting getting a glimpse into the mindset of a more rural german family, albeit briefly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment