Tuesday 26 March 2019

The brighter side of Milan

It's a 16 hour direct, overnight bus ride from Berlin to Milan, which lends itself to uncomfortable sleeping positions and but being able to see the wonderful scenery of Germany, Austria and Italy for most of the journey. I do note that cycling Tirol would be challenging, especially as there is still snow on the peaks. 



It is unseasonably warm in Milan on my arrival (20C) and not a cloud in the sky. I stay with my friend Carlo near the centre of Milan and we spend the first evening at "the farm". It's a community dinner around a campfire, where the wine and coversation flow freely, interspersed with bouts of singing. The perfect setting to ease myself into the quieter, less commercial side of this city. 



The next day I help out a community project in their quest to plant 1000 trees over the weekend. It is all very well organised and yet playful. Breaks are plentiful, the food delicious and the banter full of smiles. We work well into the evening and retire home as the sun is setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment