Tuesday 26 March 2019

Cerreto Grue - que bellisima!

Carlo recommends me to cycle to my next stop following the "canali", a network of canals once used to bring water into Milan. For 30km there is a beautiful cycling path, on which your only obstacles are pedestrians and fellow bike riders. The remaining 70km of today's journey is spent on SP (strade provinciale): these are country roads with little traffic. Although this part of Italy is flat, I feel physically demanding at the end of the day. I guess this is to be expected on my first long ride of the year. 


I am staying in the small village of Cerreto True, near Tortona, where Francesco has volunteered his parents to host me... well not really, he acts more like a liaison between his parents (Giulia & Americo) and potential guests, as his parents speak only Italian. With my limited Italian and their limited English, our conversations are basic, but I never feel awkward. They show me around their wonderfully authentic country house and then invite me to eat with them.  It is exactly what I needed to recoup my strength - a delicious meal, with such variety and numerous courses. I am shown photos of Francesco and his brother and told about all the other CS guests they have delighted in hosting since 2015.
It is difficult to leave such a panorama, tranquility and lovely people after just one night.



No comments:

Post a Comment