Saturday 7 May 2016

Dublin ahoy

The wind behaves itself today and between bouts of rain, sunshine breaks through. The coast road from Gorey to Dublin is great with little traffic. I have my lunch on the beach of Brittas Bay, with the sun deigning to shine for the 20 minutes I sit there. 
The Dublin suburbs, I mean sprawlburbs, reach into neighbouring counties and the final part through these kilometers is an insipid blur of hastily constructed dwellings lined up in attention. 
Approaching my house after a 1000km journey conjures up memories from my youth. I remember that I cycled as far as the end of the street, then to Bushy Park, then, in later years, regularly to a pool in Stillorgan and even as far as Bray! Throughout my life, as I have cycled further from my doorstep, my worldview has shifted. To this current extent that I feel that my bike connects not just to the outer reaches of my hometown, but to the whole world.
My fantasies of a warm bath over these past 12 days are realised on reaching my parents' house. The first leg is complete and now it's a waiting game until Mylene joins me in a few days.
The beautiful Mafalda comes to visist me in Dublin for a few days and I get to show her around town.

1 comment: