Tuesday 6 October 2015

Velica Gorica, Zagreb

Expecting many refugees at the border between Croatia and Slovenia but there are none. This I learn later is due to Slovenia's decision to only allow refugees through one border point. The border patrol guy gives me crap about having to pay 200€ for trying to avoid the border patrol. His attempt is not successful. 
Croatia seems less finished and much less like Austria, with buildings under construction and things left lying around... a forklift here, a big pile of iron girders there. However my biggest complaint is the non-cyclist friendly roads, especially near Zagreb... no space for bikes on large roads, the cars travelling very fast or having to make very large detours to get onto a quieter road. 
I make it to Natasa's house with fried nerves due to the traffic. Have not seen Natasa for 13 years, but she and her house haven't changed. By the way, this is not some Dublin pajamas fashion thing, it's just early. 
Spend a few days at Natasa's place and hang around Gorica and venture in to Zagreb. Here is the opera house. 
I meet up with Borco, a guy I met over a year ago and he shows me the bike kitchen where he volunteers.
Borco also shows me around the more alternative, studenty side of Zagreb... street art, student bars, music festival. 
Here is Sopot, a district which has the biggest apartment block in Croatia called "Mammoth". 5000 inhabitants and air raid shelters built for the Serbian bombing attacks in the early 90's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment