Thursday 10 August 2017

Dresden

Taking two days to reach Dresden, due to a very late start from Prague, I welcome the improvement in the cycle lanes as I enter Germany once again. As a result, there is a large increase in the bike trekkers, with even queues forming at times. The Danube Way is a spectacular ride toward Dresden, with castles and sweet villages lining up on riverside precipices.
I use WarmShowers (WS) in a last ditch attempt to find somewhere comfortable and central to spend my night(s) in Dresden. The WS community is there for me and Tobias says that although he won't be in town, he is prepared to leave his keys with his neighbour, so that I can let myself in.
As it turns out, he recognises me on the Danube Way and, after a quick chat, we continue our opposite courses with a longer introduction set aside for tomorrow. Yet another example of how a trust-based system is a great way to meet people and increase one's faith in the goodness of one's fellow man.
Basically it all means that I am home alone for the evening. After a quick stop at the shops (supermarkets are closed on Sundays in Germany), I enjoy the comforts of a large apartment with full TV privileges.
Dresden is a beautiful city, with many restored buildings in the old part. I spend the next chilling out in the old town: nothing specific, just watching the world go by.
Tobias arrives later and I prepare some dinner. He tells me of his previous night spent in a cave in the Tschesches Schweiz (Czech Switzerland) mountains and we talk bikes and life until late into the evening.







No comments:

Post a Comment