Friday 4 August 2017

Chrast, an unexpected highlight



It rains all day as I struggle to climb out of Brno and toward Prague. Thanks to my GPS (maps.me & mapy.cz), I know the challenge that awaits me. Approximately 3000m cumulative elevation over 260km.
In spite of sugary waffles to raise my energy levels and my mood, I manage only 110km today. The roads are uneven, the climbs steep through innumerable small villages with unpronounceable names. The constant rain adds to my deflated mood.
As I pass through the last town before looking for somewhere to wild camp for the night, a driver in a truck stops me and tries to ask me where I will stay for the night. Thankfully, he rings up his wife who proceeds to invite me back home to stay the night. Throwing the bike onto the back of the truck, I am stuck by how alruistic people are.
It turns out that Petr is crazy about bikes and with help from his wife, Nicole and Google translate, I learn all about his crazy bicycle adventures. In 2015 he competed in a bicycle race that was 720km long, with 19000m elevation, through muddy trails in Czech and Poland. Respect!
Their three year old daughter Johanna (Johanka) is gregarious and bemused at my not being able to speak Czech, like normal people.
I enjoy their company and generosity so much that I stay an extra night, my only role to sometimes keep an eye on Johanka.

No comments:

Post a Comment