Thursday 27 September 2012

Catania ---- Sericusa

On the right road, again... how nice is Sicily
ANAS man with van removes this
menace to Siclian traffic
So THIS is an Autostrade.. ah ha... now I know
Had planned to get to Ispica today, but the Italian road Gods are not making my life easy. Getting out of Catania is troublesome. Avoiding the Autostrade (motorways) is now the bane of my existence. In the end I decide to take the risk on the Autostrade, as it seems destiny that all roads lead to an Autostrade. Progress is quick. However after a 3km tunnel, I am pulled over - possibly for going too fast?!? Nope, but I play the ignorance card and they are more bemused than officious and I am left there on the side of the road to await a pickup truck. Get left 3km further up the road but this delay has caused me to seriously re-evaluate today's final destination.

Nice B&B but not a patch on CouchSurfing
90 minutes at a buffet breakfast
Further circles are performed in order to avoid the Autostrade. The signposts here are more confusing than anywhere else thus far on this trip. Decide that "ce sera, sera" and settle for making Sericusa. Have to splash out on a B&B as the night falls and the Italian drivers hurtle about the streets.
A full-on breakfast the next morning is a welcome sight and gets me hydrated and psyched for the 31C ride to Ispica.


No comments:

Post a Comment