Sunday 18 September 2016

Organising accommodation

Although I have the requisite camping gear and love to go "wild camping" (not in officially designated camping grounds), I spemd most of my nights on the road indoors. This involves a bit of organisation approximately starting 10-7 days before heading off on my adventure. 
Using hospitality platforms such as CouchSurfing, BeWelcome and WarmShowers, it is surprisingly easy to find hosts who invite you into their homes      On these platforms I find the hosts you like the look of and send them a message with a brief description of myself, my trip and some interests we share. Once they invite you to stay, I follow up by asking for an exact address and contact telephone number. On the day I am planning to arrive, I send another text informing them of a more act arrival time. It is best to keep a record of all your hosts details in electronic and paper form. 
"Wild camping" is safe in Northern Europe, as we have killed off any natural animal predators and once outside an urban environment and hidden in a forest, nobody is likely to even notice your presence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment