Monday 9 March 2015

Hare Krishna - cooking 101

Today is a first. Shaving, having a shower and brushing my kitchen before going on a date... This date was with a deity. Gotta be clean, clean, clean for preparing food to be offered to Krishna. 
Cooking food is considered an act of devotion in the HK lifestyle and has many rules. 
Of course, it is vegetarian and uses no eggs, as you sully your body with the negative death struggles of the animal. 
OK, by me so far. 
Apart from the cleanliness while cooking, one must use utensils and food holders specific for Krishna - one cannot use the crockery or cutlery used by us morals in preparing the food. 
Although preparing food is a devine act, one cannot think of the food as food until it has been blessed in the temple. This obviously excludes tasting of the food and salivating (I guess). Pavlov's reflex be damned. 
I will happily abide by these rules, I. Order to glean some secret recipes. I never knew just how much gee (Indian butter) and sugar goes in to all the food. 

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying your blog Graham.... Keep it coming ...we are all following....We all want you to STAY SAFE 😘

    ReplyDelete