Tuesday 6 June 2017

Linz, finally

The Donauweg "Danube way" is part of Euroroute 6, one of the trans European cycle ways, stretching from the west coast of France and winding it's way through Switzerland, Austria, Serbia, Hungary and Romania. It is approx 4600 km long and very well frequented in the summer months, especially in France and Austria, where the cycle paths are particularly well maintained and signposted.
Thanks to missing my connecting bus to Linz, I will be cycling from Passau, just inside the German border. The cycle is very easy and winds asking beside the both sides of the Danube, and usually not near any car traffic. The weather hits 28C, so I take my time and conserve my water. This being Austria and being particularly cycle-friendly, there are multiple fountains en route, where you can fill you water bottles... no need for me to carry my six water bottles laden with water.
There is a mixture of young and old, families and solo riders on the cycleways. The introduction of electric-powered bikes has allowed older people to travel between towns, without the fear that they their legs are no longer up to it.
It's only 90 km to Linz, but I have arrived a day late to meet my couchsurfer, Reza. Due to confusion the night before and a mistyped phone number, we meet a few hours after I reach Linz. Grown up in Iran and Pakistan, he has a mission to move to many parts of the world, searching for new ways of doing things and inspiration. He has lived in Linz for two years, but already has loose plans to settle somewhere else. We hang out for the evening and his hospitality is total. Not letting me once dip my hand in my pocket for dinner or anything else. I feel I would deeply offend him if I protest any more.
We make plans to one day climb the Himalayas, at least the smaller ones, and I make a bicycle tour together.

No comments:

Post a Comment