Wednesday 18 November 2015

Daily rhythm in the caves

Life in the caves is getting into a simple daily rhythm. The sun rises before 7am but I disregard the cockerel bellowing from the dogs until about 8am when the sun is already beaming into the lounge area of the garden. 
Breakfast consists of oatmeal, yoghurt and pomegranate. Berndt advises drinking freshly picked nettle tea to detoxify the blood - why not give it a shot. Naturally enough it being Sicily, some coffee is required.
After feeding the five dogs, it's off to tend to the chickens. Fresh eggs daily are provided from some very happy hens. I gather peppers, aubergines, corgettes and some lettuce from the garden. Near self-sufficiency here is easy at any time of the year. 

Afternoons usually find me having out on the beach. It is 7km away and approx 150m lower than the caves but Berndt has a choice of bikes I can use.  Even though its mid November, the air temperature is approx 24C and the water temperature I guesstimate to be a respectable 18C or so... despite bemused looks, I kit out and go frolicking in the waves (nobody has probably been swimming here since September). 
After returning home, I heat up the water in the boiler by making a fire, so that I can enjoy a warm shower. In summertime, showering is done outside as the sun directly heats the water. 
The kitchen is outside as is the dining table which means that practically my whole day until sunset is spent outside. This allows to to feel more in tune with the sun's daily trek across the sky. The whirring solar panel motors also remind me of its progress. 
The sun dips below the horizon around 17:00 this time of year and I retreat to the coziness of one of the caves. Each cave comes equipped with a stove which keeps quickly heats the cave and staves away any dampness. 
Now the caves come equipped with WiFi, so evenings are spent surfing the interweb or reading. Occasionally, I go to one of my favorite pizzerias - walnut and Gorgonzola (Zola e noci) or the best ever "Gustosa" (mozzarella, capuliato, carciofi, porcini, algio, prezzemelo). Pizze dolci (sweet pizzas) are all the rage here - including pizza varieties like "ricotta and Nutella" - I am not convinced. 
Relatively free from the light pollution, the sky at night is awash with stars. 
Sleeping in the caves is no problem. After trying many mattresses, Berndt had prevailing issues with dampness and now equips his caves with thick thermarests - high quaility air mattresses.



No comments:

Post a Comment