Wednesday 24 October 2012

Ispica ------ Rome

Biking with Silvia in Rome
What's in the bag, Bernd?
Et voila.
 I have an extended stay with Bernd in Ispica (10 days), due to a combination of lack of motivation to tackle Sicilian roads again, no CouchSurfers able to host me and a wonderful, inspirational host and surrounds. However, all good things must come to a close, so its packing up time. On intercity Italian rail, the bike is totally forbidden, UNLESS it is in a bag measuring 110cm x 80cm x 40cm. After a predictable failed search for such a bag in Ispica - who after all, ever leaves their home towns in Sicily, especially with a bicycle? Luckily for me, Bernd is a genius when it comes to improvisation. The "bag" is fashioned out of a single duvet cover, with everything held tightly together by good old fashioned Sellotape. Perfecto! I will use this trick next time on the plane from Rome and on future bike treks.

Silvia and I having a "real" coffee in Rome
Yes, we met up with Giuseppi too.
A really amazing train journey from Ispica to Rome - the train drives onto a goddam ferry and the threateningly high mountains out the window convince me that I have chosen the right mode of transport to get to Rome.

Some street art, makes me feel like I'm home already
At the train station, I am met by Silvia and a congratulatory beer. Over the next few days in Rome, I see a lot of what is "behind the tourist curtain", courtesy of Silvia. Among the several highlights was visiting an Occupy space, where I saw some glimmers of the the alternative side of Rome.

Remnant of the Weird festival







We visited many galleries, museums and churches, where I began to truly appreciate some of the Italian art, especially Caravaggio's paintings.









Cycling in Rome was an experience too. Not as terrifying and dangerous as expected, but maybe my experiences in the cities of the Ukraine have toughened me up some.


Tarallucci e Vino - yummers
Gallerie Borghese, I think



No comments:

Post a Comment